Change is afoot in the hearing care industry. Big-box stores and other retailers sell hearing aids. Patients comparison shop online. If passed, the federal Over-the-Counter Hearing Aid Act will add the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)’s regulatory stamp to approved OTC devices. As a result, hearing care practitioners have to decide whether and how to adapt their business plans. An obvious first step is to reconsider your service-delivery model. So,“bundling” the cost of hearing aids with the cost of treatment may no longer be the most productive approach. New Legislation The OTC Hearing Aid Act was reintroduced on March 20. It was...Read More
Category: Best Practices
Jun 19, 2017 | Best Practices |
It may be difficult for patients to broach the topic of hearing loss with their doctors. They don’t know how, or when, to bring it up. And maybe they’re afraid that the doctor won’t take them seriously. Given the concerns that many patients have, it’s imperative that practitioners are prepared for these difficult conversations. Because taking the first step is important. Being prepared to address your patient’s concerns is also important. The Better Hearing Institute (BHI), the educational arm of the Hearing Industries Association (HIA), has released a digital flipbook for patients who may be wondering how to bring up the topic of hearing loss with...Read More
Jun 12, 2017 | Best Practices |
Recent technological advancements have transformed the hearing care industry. Analog hearing aids are out. Digital processing systems are in. Patients like that new devices are more powerful and efficient than their ancestors. Many patients also appreciate the advanced functionality that they deliver. Don’t be afraid to geek out with your tech-savvy customers. Get them excited about their purchases. Educate them on the virtues of the latest trends in hearing care technology. Building an emotional connection between patients and devices can help close the sale. Creating excitement helps ensure they will return for the care they need. Let’s take a closer look at five of the latest trends in...Read More
May 30, 2017 | Best Practices |
When a patient enters a practice, they begin looking for “clues” that will either encourage them to engage and choose hearing health or discourage them. In this 2-minute video, Nola Aronson explains how she helps patients feel welcomed and engaged and ensures nobody who is in need of hearing care walks out of her practice without the hearing devices they need.Read More
Apr 24, 2017 | Best Practices |
As far as you’re concerned, your hearing care practice has it all. Your training, skill, and experience. The latest technology and a friendly and efficient staff. Unfortunately, your offices might look a bit different from the perspective of a new or returning patient. When you think of all the doctors’ and dentists’ offices you have visited, what were the little things—good or bad—that you remember about your experience?Read More
- on PATIENT FACTSHEET: 6 FEATURES OF MODERN HEARING AIDS Waterproof hearing aids? You must be kidding. There is no such animal. The battery needs oxygen to function and this must come from the atmosphere. Access to the atmosphere is crucial, and therefore the battery compartme…
- on ADDING HEARING IMPLANT SERVICES CAN GROW YOUR BUSINESS it is a fallacy that cochlear implants can replace hearing aids ! I have 4 patients who wear cochlear implants, and NONE of them have good prognosis with these devices. The latest micro chip powered hearing aids by Phona…
- on Ask an Expert: Do You Have Any Tips for How to Retain Patients? Hi Svetlana, Thank you for your question! At this time, CareCredit does not offer a hearing aid leasing program. They currently offer a healthcare credit card that allows enrolled cardholders to take advantage of payment…
- on Ask an Expert: Do You Have Any Tips for How to Retain Patients? I was just wondering, if the CareCredit will be able to match or offer some kind of hearing aid leasing program like EPIC?
- on Ask an Expert: How Can I Differentiate My Practice from Costco? Thanks so much for your kind words, Rachel! I love being your hearing care provider, and am also happy to help out the hearing care community as a contributor to this “Ask an Expert” column.