While the thought of purchasing a hearing aid may seem daunting, it’s a smart investment. Many of these benefits cannot be measured in simple dollar value alone, though.
The “return on investment,” or ROI, for hearing aids can enhance your life in both the short- and long-term. According to the Better Hearing Institute (BHI), identifying hearing loss and treating it can positively impact every facet of an individual’s life.
In case you’re still not convinced, the BHI has compiled a list of six ways that hearing aids can be beneficial. In this article, we share the highlights, edited and adapted from the BHI website.
Hearing Aids Benefits
- Help Treat Tinnitus – Although there is no “cure” for tinnitus, hearing aids can help amplify background noise and provide a distraction to ringing or buzzing in the ears. It can also help reduce the stress associated with “intensive listening.”
- Retain Balance – A Johns Hopkins’ study cited in the BHI article showed that middle-aged adults with mild hearing loss were three times as likely to suffer falls. Experts theorize that the extra effort required for listening may demand additional cognitive resources. This may leave less resources available for balance and gait.
- Help you Earn More Money – Hearing aids can reduce the risk of earning loss anywhere from 65-100%. This is dependent on the severity of hearing loss, according to a BHI study cited in the article. Annually, this can add up to as much as $30,000.
- Keep Relationships Stronger – According to a BHI study, over 50% of respondents with hearing loss said hearing aids improved their relationships, social interactions, and ability to join groups.
- Stress Reliever/Mood Booster – BHI research shows that people with hearing loss feel more “in-control” of their lives and less self-critical.
- Optimal Cognitive Function – Some researchers believe there is a link between hearing loss and dementia. Using hearing aids could help to prevent or delay dementia, though more research is needed.
Given the myriad of hearing aid benefits, there’s no reason not to treat your hearing loss. Nevertheless, fronting the entire cost of a hearing healthcare plan may still be overwhelming. That’s where CareCredit comes into play. This easy financing option can help make your payments manageable while still allowing you to get maximum benefit.